Thursday, September 10, 2009

Bangers and Mash and Mushy Peas


I am being adventuresome with food and starting to eat the English and Welsh way. As much as I like sausage, I've always stayed away from bangers and mash - sausages and mashed potatoes with gravy. It just seemed too much of a good thing. But, after watching Dave eat liver and onions and fish and chips, I decided to join in, so ordered the dish at a local pub. Oh, my, I should have realized I would be hooked! So good, and with the addition of mushy peas, so English. Mushy peas are smashed peas - still bright green- that are rather fluffy. Sometimes they are minted and sometimes plain. Another surprise!

Then on to another pub in Wales, and I decided I had to start photographing some of the dishes because they couldn't be described. The first photo is of my dinner last night - beef lasagna with chips (french fries) and coleslaw! Really. The lasagna was delicious and the chips unbelievably cruchy outside and creamy soft inside. I did pass on the cole slaw.

Next pic is my first Welsh breakfast with egg, bacon, sausage, black pudding (blood and oats), tomato, and fried bread. Not to be seen was the fruit, local cheeses and Sylvia's home baked bread with her marmalade. Waddle, waddle.

Sylvia and her husband, Gerald, were our hosts at last night's B&B in Llandovery, Wales, the town where Prince Charles recently purchased and renovated a farmhouse. While the construction was going on, his staff would stay at the B&B. After the home was completed, the Prince held a garden party to which Sylvia and Gerald were invited, and upon meeting the Prince, they invited him to tea and he accepted the invitation! Just recently, Prince Charles and his staff did indeed have high tea at the B&B with Sylvia and Gerald and their family. We saw the lovely pictures that Sylvia is so proud of, and the guest book where he took a whole page and signed"Charles".

1 comment:

hes said...

Sounds like yur trip is a success. If you have a chance, see the slate quarries in Wales. It will remind Dave of Pittsburgh in the old days.

Hugh